Re: MNS action on Biharis is spontaneous-Its Lalu's Railways
Before one starts another round of bashing of Bihar politicians, just think about the following statistics:
1. The percent of Biharis among the new migrants to Mumbai is between 1.33 % and 2.3 %. Two studies were conducted on this topic by two Mumbai based organizations: one by TISS and another by IPSS. Now if such a low percent of migrants, (much much lower than states like Gujarat, the four south Indian states, Rajasthan, Punjab / Haryana). is not acceptable to "locals", then people will have to relook if Mumbai can remain the financial capital of India or regress to being just the capital of Maharashtra. Surely, there is no justification to have the national institutions like RBI and SBI HQ in Mumbai! Certainly not of a agricultural body like NABARD.
2. The "outsiders" in Mumbai sitting in the railway exams were from West Bengal, Rajasthan, MP, Jharkhand and Orissa, besides other states; not just Bihar. In fact, just like the boy from Nalanda, a boy from Rajasthan too lost his life when in Mumbai to appear in the exam and just like the Nalanda boy, the Rajasthan boy is also alleged to have lost his life in an "accident" according to Mumbai police.
3. Mumbai may be the HQ of Central and Western Railways, but these railways extend to at least three other states of India.
4. In the period when the finance minister and the telecom minister of India has been from TN, 90% of all mobiles manufactured in India is now from Tamil Nadu. Tax breaks and other incentives have ensured this concentration of the mobile manufacturing industry. Should politicians from TN be allowed such parochialism?
5. States like Jharkhand, Orissa and Bihar (I call them the JOB states) all have their credit deposit ratios hovering between 20 to 30 percent, very occasionally over 30%. This includes the public sector banks which are all head quartered in Mumbai. What it means is that the poorest region of the country exports capital to other parts, most notably Mumbai. Can such flight of capital leading to further impoverishment of an already poor place be allowed? And till such time as this going on, can we let Maharashtrians block the "outsiders" come to Mumbai in search of jobs.