I should say, this article should be retitled as "Stark Lies of Hinduism"..
There was deliberate dis-information, and unsubstantiated and false allegations.. the same allegations were done in the past without any validity and discussion.. but today, a typical hindus is able to understand his past and can counter such false allegations..
My replies to this article..
1. There was no concrete history on caste system, and no one knows what the caste system existed some 200 years before.. In such case, how can the author allege the caste system as evil and that too existed for thousands of years..
The following references may give some insight in to caste systems.. Much of the information on caste system came from Nicholas Dirks, as evident below.
2. The allegation that caste system was evil itself is unwarranted.. The caste system is one of the strenghts of hinduism.. at the same time, it also had its own problems, like inter caste conflict, .. but, to portray it as evil is far from truth..
If caste system is to be portrayed as evil for alleged discrimination, then how should we portray christianity for destroying numerous civilizations and massacre of red-indians in americas..
3. The tribals were living in their own land, with their own social setup and had their own administration, till britishers domination.. till few decades back, every tribal community had their own chief, and had some form of self-rule. And its the britishers along with missionaries, who took over the tribal land, took away their rights, destroyed their social setup, and finally classified them as STs.
How come hinduism be responsbile for a british action, who classified them as sheduled..
Atleast for Dalits, we can say, they worked under land lords.. but in case of tribals, they lived independantly from the plains people..
4. The author also alleges that its the christian missionaries which gave indians education. But, as per the british archivals, compiled by dharampal, during a survey taken in 1832, there were 1 lakh schools all over madras presidency and an equal number of schools in undivided bengal.. at that time, in england, there only few thousand schools, and only for noble class.. Please refer the book "The beautiful Tree" which is available below.. Its to be mentioned that as per the findings, the brahmins only constituted less than 20% of the students in these 1 lakh schools..
5. The author also alleges that only when BJP came to power, the clashes occur.. that means, before that, no one has dared to question the churches on their ulterior motives, and only when BJP came to power, it stopped illegal conversions.. is it opposing an injustice and illegal conversion a wrong thing?
6. Again, the author has deliberated involved in bashing hindu organisations.. he accused hinduism also in that process.. Does he say, other religions are all perfect and had no drawbacks?
7. The author questions are tribals and dalits allowed as priests.. but he conveniently forgets, that in all tribal areas, their temple is administered by themselves.. in all dalit temples only a dalit is the priest..
Btw, why is he not concerned that woman are not allowed to become priests in churches..
8. There are some communities which are made to carry night soil.. but who exactly did that? Is it not the britishers who made that?
9. the facts is that most of the inter caste conflicts occurs between dalits and OBCs.. how come the author accuses higher caste for that.. or who exactly the author means by the term "Higher Castes"
There are lot of unaswered questions, that can never be answered.. but so far, due to the monopoly of the indias intellectual space, there were no opportunity for these false allegations to be questioned, and it occupied the space of school syllabus also.. Now with advent of internet and renewed awareness of history, many of the truths are yet to come..
Jharkhandi.com is distributing 10,000 email accounts on first come, first serve basis. Want to get free email account @ Jharkhandi.com please, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Replying to this email will send an e-mail to 8000+ members of Jharkhand Forum.