| [Attachment(s) from firstname.lastname@example.org included below]
Press Release - Picket in Support of the Peoples of Lalgarh outside Indian Consulate, Birmingham
On Friday the 10th July 2009 people from all over the UK, including London, Kent, Newcastle, Leicester, Derby, Coventry and other cities and towns in England congregated in front of the Indian Consulate in Birmingham. They demanded an end of the military action against the people of Lalgarh. The protesters chanted slogans in support of the Lalgarh People, against the land grab policies, against police atrocities and for the release of all political prisoners. The protest culminated in delivering a petition to the Consulate, which was received by an official on behalf of the Consul General of India. The official promised that the demands of the protesters will reach the government of India within the next few days.
The protesters resolved to continue the campaign up and down the country in the future. Plans are already afoot for a protest outside the India House in London on the 24th of July 2009. The protests in UK will continue until the demands the following demands of the People are met:
1. Unconditional apology from the superintendent of police for the indiscriminate arrests, torture, rape and illegal detention of the people.
2. Apology from the policemen involved in the operations.
3. Compensation for those injured and families of the dead.
4. All negotiations be held in public and not behind closed doors.
The protesters also condemned the West Bengal government for arresting the All India fact-finding team, comprising human rights organisations, including the documentary film maker Gopal Menon. The team was going to investigate the military operation against the tribal peoples of Lalgarh and allegations of Police brutality. The protesters demanded the immediate release of the fact finding team.
The main organizers were:
Campaign Against Land Grab and Forced Displacement of People Indian Workers Association (GB) South Asia Solidarity Group
Attachment(s) from email@example.com
1 of 1 File(s)
Note: To post your messages, articles, write-up, issues for public discussions and documentary video at Jharkhand Forum websites, simply send it to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com. No sign-up required.
Jharkhand Forum broadcast your postings on thirty websites like -
http://forum.jharkhand.us | http://forum.jharkhand.org.uk | http://forum.jharkhand.org.in
Posting Policy - http://forum.jharkhand.org.in/2009/06/posting-policy-of-jharkhand-forum.html
Some Useful Links -:
01. Jobs Post -> http://jobs.jharkhand.org.in | 02. CV / Resume / Bio-data -> http://resume.jharkhandi.com | 03. Marriage -> http://shaadi.jharkhandi.com | 04. Love Story -> http://love.jharkhandi.com | 05. Join Social Network -> http://network.jharkhandi.com | 06. Watch Short Film / Documentary -> http://documentary.jharkhand.us | 07. Post Petition -> http://petition.jharkhand.org.in | 08. Districts' Website -> http://jharkhandi.com/district.aspx | 09. Funding Appeal -> http://funding.jharkhand.us | 10. The Naxal -> http://naxal.jharkhand.org.uk | 11. Adivasi Alert -> http://adivasi.jharkhand.org.uk | 12. Mines Blog -> http://mines.jharkhand.org.in | 13. Get a FREE Email A/c -> http://jharkhandi.com/email.aspx
Apply online at http://jharkhandi.com/representative.aspx to be representative of The Global Organization of Jharkhandi People (www.jharkhandi.org)