Dear Mr. Avinash:
The point I am emphasizing that 'Hinduism' has nothing to do with the way the castism has been evolved to this stage.
I agree with you that 'Varna' system was based on 'Karma' and the next generation had the choice of choosing their profession, just like we have now. But, apparantly there were certain professions, which were easier for sons to learn from their fathers. Such as carpentery, archery, 'Mantras', aruvedic skills etc.
I lived in an Indian village till I have completed 7th standard. I don't know when the village was founded. But they way it was populated is as follows:
- There was an exclusive street for Brahmins called - Brahmin sahi. Out of say 40 houses about 30 consecutive houses were by Brahmins. Rest were from non-Brahmins.
- One exclusive street for 'Reddy' / 'Rao' telugu surnames. 'Redica sahi'
- Two exclusive street for SC/STs in corner of villages 'Hadi Sahi' and 'Dandasi Sahi'
- There were other streets with mixed all kinds of surnames except SC/ST people.
I can't say why these was done, but I can assert that because of comfort level for similar castes to live with their own community. Here only we start seeing things in different angle - 'mind choses what it wants to see'.
There are 3 other points noteworthy in this context.
- The Sikhism evolved in a fashion, where in stead of one son to become a 'sardarji' all are becoming 'sardarji'.
- The 'gay marriage' system in USA.
- in Hinduism, Lord Ram, Krishna didn't have surnames, but at some time, social scientists introduced this.
In all the above 3 points, what a religion have to do with the way people started living ?
Personally, as I said, If I were a SC/ST, wouldn't give a damn - "How the world is treating me ?". Changing 'mindset' of thousands of people around us is difficult. May change few generations as in America. But, Sc/ST individuals can change their own mind , they way they want to see the world.
If they wish to blame the religion, even though it has nothing to do with this social evil, they are welcome. They can change to Buddhism or whatever they wish.
But the solution lies in
- Changing their own mindset that it is created by people and people can end it
- Changing their profession like 'manual scavanging' , if they feel that they are ashamed or mean profession.
- Other factors, such as they can try to buy a house in a upper caste appartments etc. - Feel good.
Manoj Padhi __._,_.___
Replying to this email will send an e-mail to 9000+ members of Jharkhand Forum and it will be published at 20 blogs of EI Blogger & Jharkhand Blog.
Jharkhand Forum's Posting Norms http://jharkhand.org.in/posting_norms.htm
Add your ORG Name in Directory - http://directory.jharkhand.org.in
Join Jharkhand Network to Make New Friends @ http://JHARKHAND.ning.com
Wanna be an Internet Volunteer? go to: http://volunteer.jharkhand.org.in
YOU CAN HELP US: http://www.jharkhand.org.in/help-us-to-promote-jharkhand
MAKE FUNDING / DONATION APPEAL HERE @ http://FUNDING-APPEAL.blogspot.com
Get firstname.lastname@example.org, Sign-up here http://email.jharkhandi.com