| Baha -The Wild Flower, a Nagpuri film with English subtitles got entry in XXIV. Black International Cinema, Berlin / Germany and U.S.A
It is my pleasure to inform you that first commercial fiction film "Baha" -The Wild Flower, a Nagpuri musical with English sub title(1.57min) got entry in
XXIV. Black International Cinema- Berlin / Germany & U.S.A.- MAY 7 - 10, 2009
you can see the details of the film and pix in this web link of the festival. http://www.black-international-cinema.com/BIC09/bic_09.htm
This is for the first time that a fiction film in regional language from Jharkhand has got entry in an international film festival.
Some song clips of the film is available in this youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscBBNfknTQ
kindly help me with the promotion/ distribution of the film while suggesting suitable film festivals.
| Wednesday, March 25, 2009
| From Jharkhand to Film Fest in Berlin, Baha going global
Winning international recognitions and awards for Shriprakash, the documentary film maestro from Jharkhand may not be new. However, when 'Baha',the director's first endeavour with fiction film got invitation for screening in none other than the24th Black International Cinema fest at Berlin in Germany and later in USA, he could not help gushing, "It is very special, I am overwhelmed"! And, why not! This full-length feature film in Nagpuri, is after all the first from Jharkhand to have earned this rare distinction.
'Baha', the tale of a wild flower, is slated for screening in the first phase of the festival scheduled from May 7 to 10 in Berlin, which would be followed later in USA. This one hour 57 minute film has been shot extensively in the picturesque of Jharkhand and the tea gardens of Assam. It is the tale of personal and professional aspirations of a tribal lad. The film is replete with moments of sublime love, desires that go unexpressed amidst peaks of ecstasy and abyss of anguish, that eventually engulf the protagonist in a world of void. "The transition from documentary films to fiction obviously has not been easy, script alone took two years to reach its final shape", says the bearded director.
Made under the banner of Kritika Productions, Jharkhand, the film is set to usher a new trend in film making in the State. "I barely began with an amateur VHS camera", he recalls and today, nearly after eighteen-year down the lane, his film has attracted artists from the National School of Drama (NSD), New Delhi, FTII, Pune besides some of the best technicians from Mumbai.
Pradyuman Naik had deftly portrayed main character of the film David. Yogendra Choubey has played his friend Anuj, who too essays a very powerful role in the film, both the artists belongs to the NSD. Further, there is an impressive array of other tribal artists from Jharkhand.
The post-production and re-recording of the film has been done in the hi-tech studio of Jyoti Chitravan, Regional FTII, in Guwahati.
"The State of Assam figures prominently in my film considering that the tea gardens here have been the source of livelihood for numerous Adivasi families for generations", says the director. After mass migration of the tribal from their native land down the ages, Assam has been their second home. Hence my film cannot miss the essential flavour of Assam, he adds.
Besides, he claims to have been fortunate enough to get some of the best talents from Assam for his film. Rajeeb Sharma of FTII, Pune, has done the camera. Pranjul Kashyap, from the regional FTII, Guwahati, editor of the film.
"Baha" makes use of the latest sync sound technology, done by the award winning sound recordist Santosh Tantrik of Bollywood flick "Omkara" fame. Noted tribal singer Mukund Naik and his son Nandlal have written the lyrics and given the music to the film. The music is rich, reverberating with the rhythm of the tribal heartland.
Meanwhile, it may be mentioned that Shriprakash has bagged a number of awards in various international film fests- Be it at Hong Kong, the Earth-Vision International Film Festival in Tokyo, Vermont film fest and the Thunder Birds Film Festival both in USA, South Asia Films fest at Kathmandu, International Film Festivals at Buenos Aires, Istanbul, United Nations Association Film Festival, USA… The list seems endless for the Jharkhand based film director, who continues to ride tall from one crest of success to another, setting the screens ablaze with his fiery stories on tribal issues and struggles from the State.
PROMOTION MESSAGE –
Did you know?
1. To post at more than thirty blog websites of Jharkhand Forum and its email list you do not need to sign-up. (e.g. - http://blog.jharkhandi.org )
2. To post your contents (messages, articles, write-up, discussions reply and video) at Jharkhand Forum's websites and email list simply send it to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com
3. You can use any email address(s) to send your contents to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com. Also, you can hide your email address by request and we will replace your display email address with email@example.com
4. Jharkhand Group of websites is 100 percent advert-free and open access in all parts of the world.
5. Jharkhand Forum has got its social networking website @ http://network.jharkhandi.com.
6. Jharkhand Forum is one of the biggest public blogger on hot issues of India with 12000+ registered users and contributors. It maintains 200+ blogs / websites / video blogs.
7. If your email is bouncing from Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com then it means that your email address is banned by moderators. So, if you try to using a new email address to send your contents then it won't be bounced.
8. If you'd like to share your documentary or video clips on Jharkhand Forum's Video Blog [ http://documentary.jharkhand.us ] then upload your video on youtube.com and send the link (s) at Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com
9. Jharkhand Forum's Websites, Email List and Video Blog publish English language contents only.
10. Any material / contents once posted at Jharkhand Forum's websites can not be deleted even if you request for same.
11. Jharkhand Group of websites is maintained by unpaid volunteers based at various cities in India, Europe & United States.
12. JF's Norms - http://www.jharkhand.org.in/posting_norms.htm